9 August 2007

Tigers in the neighbourhood

I'll make two or three posts today (depending on time) as I have some photos here I have been wanting to share with you for a while and I'll talk some more about simple living. The photos first.

H and I went into Brisbane last week to go to a remnants shop looking for our curtain material. For the international readers, Brisbane is the capital city of the state I live in. It's about a one hour drive from my home.

They didn't have what we were after but on the way home I took some photos of this incredible cloud formation. The clouds were in long tubes and although they looked like storm clouds, there was no rain. Luckily I had my
camera with me. I took it in case I saw anything of interest that I could share here. It might be something I do more often now, not that I go out much.


So we drove through Brisbane and back onto the freeway and what do we find but Steve Irwin on a sign advertising Australia Zoo.


We were on the freeway for about 40 kms and then turned off onto what used to be called the Glasshouse Mountains Road but is now - Steve Irwin Way.

Driving through pine forests, past an enormous chicken farm with its 1940 long sheds - H was driving too fast to get a good picture of it. Grrrrr. We then came to Mount Tibrogargan, one of the Glasshouse Mountains. The original people who lived on these lands were the Gubbi Gubbi tribe, the Glasshouse Mountains are part of their dreaming. Each of the mountains still has its Koori name - this mountain, Tibrogargan is the father. Here is some more info about the local history of this area: http://au.geocities.com/glasshousebw/ghmtnshist.html

Another mountain is called Beerwah and that is also the name of the town that Australia Zoo is in. We live just down the road from the zoo so I guess you could say we have tigers and elephants as neighbours. Sadly, we no longer have Steve but we still see his sweet family around town every so often.

This is where the zoo is. H was still travelling too fast for me to get a good shot but he said he couldn't slow down as he'd hold up the traffic behind us. Don't they know I have a blog to take photos for! LOL Anyhow, if anyone is interested, I could go back another day and get some better pictures of the zoo.

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I'm told Steve Irwin's wife is from the neck of the woods I grew up in, so I've been curious about her and hope she's doing well, especially after learning from my Kiwi friends what a gift to nature Steve Irwin was.

    Interesting to learn that they live in your town! She doesn't know me from Adam, but please pass on my good wishes to her (from a fellow native Oregonian) if you can. Thank you...

    (Wildside)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi... i love coming to your blog and read it almost .. well almost daily when i can get to the computer... now i think you live near me... i am at bli bli... small world happy day margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy reading your posts. You have given me lots of ideals to use here at hidden haven to make our simple life even better without $$. Will be visiting often. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another reason to love ya! My kids were so excited to see photos of Steve Irwin on the computer today! They keep making me promise to take them to his zoo. I keep telling them "when we get to go to Australia, we will go." They (kinda) understand he is dead, so now they want to see Teri and the kids. This seems to tide them over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wildside, I don't know them either. I spoke to Steve a few times around town and Bindy introduced herself to me at the pizza shop one day, and then dragged Steve in to say hello. But apart from that, they don't know me. The locals tend to leave them alone as they get so much hype everywhere else. I think they need a place to be normal and to be able to go to the supermarket without people wanting to talk to you. I tell you what, Wildside. When I see her next time, I'll think about your post. ; )

    Yes Margie, we do live close. I'm at Landsborough. Small world eh?

    Peggy, I had a quick visit to your site and I'll be going back for a better read when I have a bit more time. It looks very interesting. Enjoy your visits here.

    Kamrin, I'm taking my camera with me whenever I go out now so I'll make a point of getting a few more of the signs around here and take a couple more at the zoo. There's a really long wooden crocodile at the front, I'll get a pic of that. Oh, there's also a big sign at Beerwah of steve with no pants on. It's perfectly decent, don't worry, but it is funny and I've only ever seen that sign here. I'll get one of that too for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda,

    I've been reading back though your blog at lunch times at work :)

    I come across this post today and just had to comment. I went to Steve Irwins zoo as a kid and I remember been really dissapointed I didn't get to meet him or terry as they were away filming. I drove past again this year on my way to noosa and we drove up to the glass house moutains. I loved it there and have told people about it. I have some good photos I have taken if you would like me to e-mail them to you let me know. I remember how I felt up there and how fresh and clean the air was - I could have sat up there for hours. I have been wondering where you lived - I knew it was QLD somewhere, so now I have a better idea.

    Hope you're having a good day today at your work :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig