11 August 2014

Baps or morning rolls in the breadmaker

Most of us home bakers have a gaggle of well used recipes to bake a variety of bread for our families. I am no different. These are soft white bread rolls that the English call Baps and the Scots call morning rolls. I often use wholemeal flour instead of white and these photographed are wholemeal. They're nothing fancy, just an all purpose roll that are easier for children to eat than a crusty roll. The rolls are perfect for lunch boxes, for a hearty bacon and egg roll or sausage on a roll for a Saturday family lunch in winter, or for salad rolls all around in summer. These rolls are a great accompaniment for soup and that is why I made these on the weekend. We had them with our sweet potato and pumpkin soup.


The other thing to point out is that there is another common recipe for Baps using vegetable oil or butter but no milk. I prefer the recipe using milk. To make these rolls soft and light you need a small amount of fat; it also makes the dough easy to handle and shape.  Using milk instead of butter or oil gives you enough fat from the milk for the lightness and flavour, but without the two tablespoons of fat the other recipe advises. 

The recipe will make up 12 small or 8 large rolls.
  • 2 level teaspoons dry yeast 
  • 2/3 cup lukewarm full cream milk
  • 2/3 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups unbleached white (or wholemeal) flour, plus a little extra for shaping and finishing
Activate the yeast in the warm water for ten minutes before starting. This not only ensures you're using active yeast, it also helps the ingredients combine.

Add the flour and salt to the bread machine bucket, then the liquid ingredients, including the activated yeast in the warm water. Turn the machine on to the dough setting. When the ingredients are mixed together, check to make sure the dough is neither too dry nor too wet.  Adjust if necessary with more flour or a small dash of water.


When the cycle finishes, it will already have done the first proofing and the dough will have been punched down in the machine. Now you can take it out, cut and shape it then put it on the baking sheet to rise. When you remove the dough from the bucket, it should be light, springy and smooth. On a lightly floured board or bench, roll the dough into a large sausage shape and cut it in two. Take one piece and roll it until it's a long sausage shape. Cut it in half, half again and half again. If you want large rolls, cut it into fewer portions. When you have each piece of dough, fold the sides into the bottom so you have a well rounded top. Place all the firmly formed rolls on the baking sheet. If you want to brush with egg wash, do that now, but traditionally these rolls have a lightly floured top.  Bake in a pre-heated hot oven at about 220C/430F until they're brown on the top and smell ready.

 TIP:  Always handle the finished dough gently. It's fine to be a bit rough when you're kneading but when the dough is ready to bake, it's very delicate. Dropping it or bashing the tray against anything might cause the dough to deflate. When you've got the dough ready to go in the oven, treat it like a new born baby.


This recipe will also make up very nice fruit buns. To make them use the recipe above with the addition of a tablespoon of soft butter, two tablespoons of sugar and a cup full of dried fruit.

Thanks for your visit today. I hope you had a good weekend and, like me, are looking forward to a productive week. :- )



SHARE:

32 comments

  1. Thanks these sound wonderful.... like the idea of fruit in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Rhonda. I had never heard of them before you mentioned them on the forum. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the idea of fruit. I don't have a bread machine. Can I make these with hand kneading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can, Angie. Mix the dough as you would for any bread, do your ten minutes of kneading and add the fruit in the last few minutes. Good luck.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recipe. I made my first loaf this weekend and am quite pleased with it. This shall be the next thing I try. I will also be hand kneading. x Rebecca

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Rhonda. This will be my project for Monday. I see you are 24 hours ahead of us. See, I'm still learning!

      Delete
  4. Yum! I think I might give the fruit version a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rhonda - I'll try these next weekend when we have visitors. We are planning a nice creamy chicken casserole so they will be lovely with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, so much! I have admired your rolls for several years now. This recipe is close to the one I use, but I have been having some problems lately with their being a too wet and the dough not mixing. I am not sure what is wrong. I have changed flour, checked my pan to be sure it is in correct, and reviewed the order to be sure it is correct. So.... I am going to give this one a go tonight and see how it goes! I'll be checking in to share the news! Thanks, again! (And I really hope one of your books will be a cookbook! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Matty, I hope it works for you. I'll have two cook books out early next year. One is on dairy food and the other a baker's book. I'm just about to start writing the baking book, all the others are done. :- )

      Delete
    2. Hooray! I love your recipes! AND, the bread is wonderful! Mine had a lovely crunchy crust that was so fabulous against the lightness of the inside. My Mister loved it, too! Especially good with homemade strawberry jam and butter! Thanks! And, I can't wait for the cookbooks to come out! I hope they are available in the States in print rather than Kindle! I love to fondle book pages, don't you? :)

      Delete
  7. Rhonda these look good but I have a question. Do these rolls need a second rise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, Rose. First rise in the machine, second rise on the baking sheet.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rhonda. I just returned to your text and indeed you did say that, I must have been having a senior moment when I read yesterday.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this recipe Rhonda, will definately make these this week. I also will be hand kneading, gave my bread maker away recently as I haven't used it for ages, I have found that I prefer to work the dough myself although I know that isn't for everyone, I think I must watch Hugh on River Cottage too much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe.....I used to buy Bap Rolls from Bakers delight so it will be wonderful to make them myself. They look amazing. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baps are one of my favourite rolls and I've been looking for a quick easy bread roll recipe to whip up. This is it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look lovely, the thought of enjoying these with warm soup makes my mouth water. Still working on my gluten free baking skills here, totally different way of baking. Do miss the smell of fresh ordinary gluten bread and rolls, but never say it out loud. My son is a picture of health now so it is so worth it. Gluten free or not, there is nothing like home baked :)! Looking at your picture, l feel a bake coming up today. Wish you both a good week. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rhonda, I have been looking for some easy bread rolls for lunch boxes. I have a gas oven and rolls tend to crisp up. Will these stay soft on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a soft crust. Sometimes they may have a crispy crust when they're just out of the oven but they soften when cooled.

      Delete
  13. I am not familiar with the term "wholemeal flour". Is it the same as whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look delicious - do you use strong flour or ordinary flour?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the dough rising. The only other thing I'm not sure of is do you put the flour on top before they bake, or when they come from the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delightful recipe! I may make these up today for our lunch!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made the rolls this morning. They are so good. I put pictures up on my blog for all to see. Reading today's post, Rhonda, will tell you why this is such a big deal for me to accomplish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look wonderful, thank you for sharing. I keep meaning to say how much I love the chicken photo in your header, she looks so inquisitive and intelligent, especially around her eye.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keen to give these a go, I don't have a breadmaker but I've never tried make rolls with milk. Thanks Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mum used to buy bap rolls when I was a kid, delicious! They used to always have flour on top and I'd get it all over my nose and cheeks when I took a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I make a very similar roll to these, but English bridge rolls (finger rolls) and they are first class. I realize now you've mentioned it, that these, indeed, would make lovely fruit rolls. As you say, one thing leads to another, thanks so much for the inspiration!!
    Jak x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig