11 April 2014

Weekend reading


Forget Martha, meet Patrick, our barred Plymouth Rock rooster. :- )  I'm convinced now that he's a boy. I said on the day he arrived he looked like a boy but I named him Martha and waited for time to pass. He's always been bigger than the girls, even the fully grown ones. He's taller, elegant and more upright, whereas the pullets are round and fluffy. Now pointy saddle feathers have grown, there are down turning tail feathers and while there has been no crowing yet and still no comb, I'm convinced. Welcome Patrick! We're going to keep him and see how he goes. So far he's been friendly and a bit bonkers. I think that's a good combinations in people, I hope it is in roosters too.

How to organise your embroidery threads
20 ideas for using stale bread
Does the eco setting make a difference?
Backyard Permaculture
Raising chickens on a shoestring
21 benefits of owning less
How to freeze fruit
How to reduce food waste
Using vinegar in the garden
10 homemade coffee creamers
Woven newspaper basket

Kakao Talk - It's a Korean message and phone program and it's free to download and free to use. It's like Skype for phones, although I think there is a computer version of it too. You can talk on the phone and message all day long if you want to and there are no charges. It's been really great to use while Sunny is in Korea. The English version of it is in the link.

SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Hi Rhonda,

    just after I commented yesterday I had a call to say that your book was in at Reader's Companion here in Armidale. They also had copies of Down To Earth on display at the front of the store :)

    Have a great weekend,

    Madeleine.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, Madeline! If I have time when we travel through Armidale again, I'll call in there to say hello.

      Delete
  2. Have a great weekend, Rhonda. I will check out our bookshops today and let you know if they have your new book. Mine hasn't arrived as yet from Booktopia but perhaps today is the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well Patrick does indeed look a lot like he is a rooster and is going to be a very fine and handsome one at that. Best laid plans of mice and men eh Rhonda? LOL. Well maybe it was meant to be. I'm sure he will provide great entertainment and I must say I personally love to hear a rooster crow. Good luck with him anyway and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. friendly and a bit bonkers - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might work out well. We have a rooster and he keeps all our hens organized and lets us know when there's something lurking in the woods that might bother the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we wanted to keep him, Helena. We have a lot of wild ducks, peacocks, geese and whatever else visiting here. Hopefully Patrick will send them on their way quick smart. We had a couple of roosters in the past, one was a magnificent Partridge bantam and the other, Seth, a light sussex. We ended up giving both of them away with a couple of their wives. I'm looking forward to seeing how Patrick develops. He's quite a character.

      Delete
  6. Hi Rhonda,
    I think Patrick is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, my book didn't come in today's mail from Booktopia unfortunately. However both Dymocks and QBD in Toowoomba have your book in stock. Dymocks have only one copy left. Silly me, I should have just waited and bought it locally instead of ordering online. That will teach me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will come on Monday, Chel. We met Ted at Dymocks last time we were there. He was a really big supporter of Down to Earth. He's a lovely, lovely man.

      Delete
  8. I'm beginning to wonder if my Buff Orpington is a rooster. She's HUGE! But I know they're bigger chickens when grown up anyway, so maybe she's just fluffy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the weekend links Rhonda, I thought you may want to know that the Great Sewing Bee is no longer offered at You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. It's a pity, it was a good show.

      Delete
  10. Rhonda, I have just discovered a UK place to buy your book. It can be bought from here
    http://www.fishpond.co.uk/q/rhonda+hetzel?rid=2073313464
    and postage is free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dc, but as much as I'd love to sell the book, I think they're overpriced. Penguin is working on this and I hope to have some good news about it fairly soon.

      Delete
  11. I've just ordered you new book all the way from New Zealand to UK for free postage. Looking forward to reading. Would love to find your older book but at £25 its a bit out of my price range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, 25 pounds is much more than you should pay. Penguin is trying to get the books on UK shelves and some work may have been done at the London Book Fair this week. We all just have to be patient and see what comes of that. xx

      Delete
  12. Are you ok where you live Rhonda with the storm that has hit the upper part of Australia the lst couple of days?
    Karen - NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fine here Karen, thanks. The cyclone has calmed down a lot. We're expecting some rain and wind tomorrow and maybe Monday, but nothing that will cause damage.

      Delete
  13. Hello Rhonda.. Love your Patrick.. He is so pretty and I love people with his personality, too.. grin..
    I always look forward to this weekend reading post.. So informative and interesting.. Just like you, dear heart.. smile. xo

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig