25 April 2014

Weekend reading

It's another long weekend here in Australia. Today is Anzac Day, and most Australians and New Zealanders will be enjoying a public holiday.  I hope everyone enjoys the day. If you're not in our part of the world, I hope your Friday and weekend is just what you're hoping for.


I will be madly knitting away using the beautiful organic cotton from EcoYarns. I'm knitting dishcloths to have a few samples when I do my library talks again this year, and I'm on the first of two shawls.  At some point during the weekend, I'll be doing some ironing.  Can you tell by looking at this pile of clothes that I like red?


I haven't been on the blog much this week because I've had work to do at the forum, I'm still writing and I had book publicity commitments. I'll be back as usual next week with, I hope, some interesting blog posts for you.
- - - ♥-♥-♥- - -

Climate change is the fight of our lives  The paragraph below is an extract from this article:

And just as we have changed before, we can change again. After listening to the great farmer-poet Wendell Berry deliver a lecture on how we each have a duty to love our "homeplace" more than any other, I asked him if he had any advice for rootless people like me and my friends, who live in our computers and always seem to be shopping from home. "Stop somewhere," he replied. "And begin the thousand-year-long process of knowing that place."

Gurrumul is one of our finest musicians. Here he is, this week, singing for the royals. Gurrumul has been blind since birth and he sings his indigenous language. - video
Chickens - behavioural research - a must read for those with chickens

SHARE:

15 comments

  1. If I had any milk in the house I'd be making that Triple berry Dutch baby right now! And I totally agree with you regarding Gurrumul- such a talent and what a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda. Now I know how to quickly cut cherry tomatoes. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links, I am new to the blogging world and I find your site full of interesting information! I' busy too this holiday weekend crocheting for family and a shawl for myself.. You have as wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 'dutch baby' is a yorkshire pudding. When we were kids, we always had the Sunday roast dinner but Mum very rarely made dessert. We were allowed to eat the leftover yorkshire pudding with sugar (or golden syrup) and a little milk on it. Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, dear heart for doing this type of post each week.. I look forward to it.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So helpful and interesting as always, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am your newest follower and think your blog is great! I'm in the Chicago 'burbs and we've always wanted to visit Australia, but there's the long plane ride. I see many great posts here and I will be looking around! It's nice to "meet" you, my Aussie friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhonda, your ironing pile made me laugh, I too love red. When I was young I couldn't wear it because I had "red" hair, now it's nearly pure white, roll out the red shirts, jumpers, scarves, anything. Another "thing" I can do at last, I wouldn't be dead for quids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love the name. Maybe I could be Rhonda the Red. ;- )

      Delete
  9. HI, Rhonda, always enjoy your blog and especially your weekend reading. I have a problem. I find it increasingly hard to buy baker's flour. Can't buy it in the town I live in. Can still get white flour at Coles/Woolworths but can't find wholemeal. Should I try a mill direct? Shipton's sounds good but not practical. I can buy bread mixes but they have all the ingredients I am trying to avoid. Would love some advice. Cheers,
    JillN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill. I think simple life involves adapting to our circumstances when they change. I would use what I could get easily and if that's at your local Coles or WW, I'd use that. So buy your favourite wholemeal flour from there, and look to see if they also sell gluten flour. Bread flour is simply plain flour with a higher protein (gluten) level. If you can't find gluten flour at the supermarket, look at the health food shop. You need to add one teaspoon of gluten flour to one cup of plain flour for it to be similar to bread flour. Let me know how you get on. :- )

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'll give it a go. Must see if they also sell spelt as I have used that previously for bread and liked. Maybe the gluten isn't as important as I thought. Bought some wholemeal flour a while ago and found it was wholemeal-style. Do they remove all the husks and then stand on the ceiling and throw a few in?

      Delete
  10. Thank you Rhonda, for your interesting links. The first one I just had to read straight away was the one on Chickens, and I really enjoyed it, giggling at the descriptions of their various chuckles and chirps - so cute! I love watching our girls roaming around the yard - the rooster seems to know where they all are even if they're not with him. When I want them to go home, I call Chookie, chookie, chookie, and most of them run up to me straight away. The two exceptions are the youngest hens, and the rooster will go off in search of them clucking his annoyance : - )

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig